'Tough' situations at work
1. You have an important deadline and need some information. But your boss is on vacation. A wrong decision could cost your company a lot. What do you do?
Go to the boss's boss and get it clarified by him.
Trust your instincts and take a call based on your gut feeling
Discuss the problem with a tenured colleague, understand their perspective and take a collective decision.
2. Your boss is upset with your work and shouts at you in front of all the other colleagues. What do you do?
You apologise for the misunderstanding and request a private meeting immediately.
You listen to him and complain about him to senior management later.
You give it back to your boss as you believe in getting even.
3. You see a group of colleagues indulging in some office gossip and banter. They ask you to join them. What do you do?
You join the group and add your two cents to the gossip as you think it will help you make friends.
You excuse yourself on the pretence of work or stay neutral towards any comment. You do not take any sides or pass any judgments.
You listen to their stories and then share them with other colleagues and your boss.
4. You threw yourself at a male/female colleague after a couple of drinks at an office party. You have to face them at work the next day. What do you do?
You apologise profusely for your behaviour and explain that you got carried away.
You think that they may not have noticed so staying quiet and not making it obvious is a good idea.
You tell all your male/female friends about how those men/women were all over you and get people on your side in case those women/men colleagues choose to complain.
5. You have a jealous office colleague who keeps sabotaging your work and claiming credit for your efforts?
You also start doing the same and play nasty with your colleague.
You go to your superior and explain him how this is affecting your morale and productivity and mention that you tried dealing with it on your own.
You choose to stay silent and hope that this colleague will either change with time or will be fired.